Slow TV antenna signals can lead to a lot of frustration. You might end up missing an important scene or part of the show you are trying to watch. Slow signals make streaming extremely hard and that can waste so much of your precious time and energy. What if we told you that you can build a homemade tv antenna booster all by yourself to solve all your signals issues?
The process is extremely simple, and the rewards are great. So, make sure to read this article till the very end to find out about making a homemade antenna signal booster.
Following is a step-by-step procedure about making your own homemade tv antenna amplifier.
- Gather the Materials and Tools
Following are some of the things that you will need to build your own tv antenna booster.
- Remote and TV
- Electrical Tape preferably in black color
- A coax cable whose length should be according to the distance between TV and antenna
- An Aluminum or Tin Foil
- Duct Tape
- A painter’s tape to protect your walls from suffering any damage
- Cut the Coax Cable
- If you want to make two antennas then purchase the double length of the cable and cut it in half.
- Now use pliers to remove the inner insulation so that the metallic wire is exposed
- After that, twist the metal shield to make the wire
- Then you need to twist the insulation foil all around the copper wire
- Finally, take out the while insulation to complete this step
- Making the Antenna
Following are the steps to build your own tv antenna booster
- First, you need to consider the design of the antenna based on your space. There are two main antenna designs.
- In one of the designs, the ends of the device are apart while in the other the ends are connected.
- Though both antennae give an equal performance in terms of range and signal quality. However, the one with the open ends seems more efficient than the connected one.
- The connected homemade antenna design is more stable and that is why it is up to you to choose between the two.
- Remember that you don’t have to stick with these two designs. You can come with something else that works for you.
- Connecting the Tin or Aluminum Foil
- While connecting foil to the coax cable make sure that ends do not touch with each other. This can short the circuit and the antenna will not work.
- After that, use tape around the connection to make sure the wires don’t stay exposed.
- Now you can use the painter’s tape to mount this assembly on the wall.
- Connecting the Device with TV
Most modern TV sets have their own tuners that are built into the body of the display. If have an older set you will need to purchase a separate TV tuner before making the connection.
- Connect the uncut end of the cable with the TV and turn it On
- Choose the tv model
- Find the menu or setting option on the remote and press it
- After that, In the menu look for the option EZ setup or CH search.
- Now TV will ask you to choose the antenna.
- After that, your tv will start searching channels through your antenna.
- Make sure to don’t move the antenna while the TV is searching for channels.
- Now you can select any channel you like and start watching uninterrupted TV.
- Getting Faster Signals
- Check your TV’s signal setup option to see how strong the connection is.
- Input manually using the remote to search a certain channel
- If the signals appear too low, try moving the antenna to some other place where you can 50:60.
- Enjoy Free and Uninterrupted TV Channels
- Once you have set up your antenna unsubscribe your present provider to save money.
- Stream unlimited content without worrying about buffering or any lag.
Some Other Ways to Boost Signals of Your TV Antenna
- Using a Metal Hanger
If you are still not sure how to boost indoor tv antenna signals, you can try the following method to make a tv antenna booster at home.
Here are a few things you will need for this method to work.
- A metal hanger
- An Electrical Tap
- And a useless speaker wire
- Connect your antenna with the hanger using a coaxial wire.
- Attach the wire with antenna and use tape to make the connection secure.
- After that, Take the hanger to some higher place and hand it properly.
- Turn on your TV to check the signal strength and move the hanger to a position where you get maximum range.
- Using a Metal Bucket
To build a tv antenna booster with this method you are only going to need a bucket and a towel.
- Place the bucket on top of a bath towel in such a way that its face touches the towel.
- Place DIY tv antenna using coax cable on the surface of the bucket.
- After that, turn on the TV and notice the signal strength
- If you still notice the signals are not enough, try rotating the antenna.
Some Tips for Improving Signals
- Choose the antenna size carefully
- Put the boost tv antenna signal aluminum foil in the attic for maximum signals
- Don’t use damaged wire or material for making your signal booster
How does Aluminum foil boost the antenna signal?
The aluminum foil you wrap the antenna in increases the surface area of the antenna which allows it to catch more signals.
This way your TV also receives more signals, and you can watch hundreds of TV channels with ease.
How can you make your HDTV antenna signals stronger?
You can do this by building your very own antenna booster using a metal bucket, a metal hanger, or aluminum foils. Each of these methods provides you with increased signal strength and a wider range.
Can a signal booster really improve the reception of your digital TV?
Yes, a tv antenna booster can increase your TV’s reception by manifolds. The reduce signal losses to a minimum using methods that reduce resistance significantly.
These devices can only pick strong signals that are transmitted by some provider and if the signals are internally weaker, this device cannot make it better.
What is making my TV pixelate?
Pixelating occurs when the reception of your TV is detecting weaker signals. This results in data loss and as a result, your TV cannot display the whole picture. You can resolve this issue by using an antenna signal booster.
How can I fix pixilation on my TV set?
You can do this by resetting your TV set. Follow the steps below to do this right.
- Cut off the power supply of your TV
- Detach the power cable from the outlet and from the TV itself if possible.
- Wait for about half a minute and then make the connections again.
- Restart your TV set
- Turn it on with the remote and view the screen. Now you have solved pixilation issue of your TV screen.
How can you stop your TV picture from breaking up?
This usually happens as a result of weaker signals. Your antenna might be out of range or the cables that connect your TV and outlet might be a cause for this. So, whenever you experience such issues, make sure to check all these factors one by one.
What can interfere with my TV signals and make them weak?
This interference can be a result of signals being deflected by appliances such as refrigerators, blenders, electric heaters or popcorn makers, etc. Basically, every appliance that contains some sort of electric motor or a piece of similar machinery can affect the strength of the signal.
What does the message “No signal” means on my Tv set?
Obviously, it means that your TV is not receiving any signals. However, the important thing is to identify its cause. Check your TV cable and outlet connection and reboot the TV set. If that does not work then the problem is with your antenna.
How can you check the signal strength in your area?
You can do this using your TV set. Use the remote to bring up the main menu. Go to the settings and select signal and connection. After that click on signal quality and you are good to go.
Why can’t I get a strong TV signal?
This can be either a network reception issue or a problem with your antenna that is causing the weaker TV signals. Try rebooting your tv set to resolve this issue.
How can a shift my TV to the room without an aerial connection?
You can use a satellite dish to watch TV in your room where antenna signals cannot reach. A dish has a much wider range and more variety of TV channels. You can buy a satellite dish and a dish receiver that is out on top of your tv and watch TV without any pixelation issue whatsoever.
What causes poor TV signal quality?
This issue can be due to a bad or broken antenna or its cable, bad positioning of a satellite dish, and interference that other electrical devices in your house can cause.